The Australian Business Number, or ABN is a unique identifier issued by the Australian Business Register (ABR) which is operated by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). The ABN is a component of the reform known as A New Tax System introduced by John Howard's Liberal government on 1 July 2000.
How do I get an ABN?
- Business name/trading name
- Your legal name
- Your postal address
- Business address
- Business type – sole trader, partnership, company, etc
- Business function (i.e. the industry and type of work carried out)
- Contact details – for you and/or any person entitled to make changes to ABR details
- Australian company number (ACN) or Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN) - if applicable
- Names of the public officer and trustee(s) (if applicable)
- Email address